Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest YouTube Icon

Thursday 3 April 2014

Interview Spotlight : Model Alexia Micallef Gatt

Mfw 2013 new designers show wearing ritienne zammit - shot by Bernard polidano



This week we shine the spotlight on a local beauty, Maltese model Alexia Micallef Gatt (supernovamodel.com.mt) - I've had the pleasure of working on a number of catwalk shows and photo shoots with Alexia and she is really great to work with, very diligent and efficient and very good at what she does. She is completely down to earth, very striking on the catwalk and lovely infront of the camera. I present to you Alexia...in her own words...

So, who is Alexia?
Alexia is a 21 year old University Student reading for a degree in education. I’m the type of person who likes to keep busy. I always seem to have something going on, if I’m not on the go, I’ll find a way to get involved in something new. I am really into fashion but not just clothes, I am also interested in the history of fashion, the design and construction of the garment as well as how it is marketed and presented to the client. Since I was really young, I would grab blankets or sarongs and drape them around me, this has eventually grown into sketching gowns. After helping out in making costumes for a student production on campus I am seriously considering taking tailoring classes next year. Another big passion of mine is travelling; I often browse airline websites and fantasise about a possible trip. Last Summer I visited Marrakesh and this is definitely my top travel destination to date. In my free time I like to hang out with my family or friends or watch movies. 
In Marrakesh – shot by Matthew Spiteri 


When did your interest in modelling first begin? Were you scouted or did something happen?
When I was about 12 or 13, I had to get new prescription glasses which were Dolce & Gabbana. My friends kept telling me I should look into modelling as I was always tall, I started looking into fashion and modelling. A few years ago, I attended a casting and got selected. There I met the wonderful Marisa Grima who asked me to join Supernovamodel.com. From then on, (also thanks to my supportive parents who would drive me to castings, fittings and events), I was given the opportunity to take part in fashion shows, shoots and promotions. 

What do you feel you are best at, catwalk or photo modelling? Which do you actually enjoy most?
Both are really so much fun and I look forward to being involved in either one of them. Having said that, I LOVE the catwalk! I really get in the zone and feel confident and glamorous when I’m walking; it’s always exciting. 

What inspires you? Is there anyone or anything that you feel has influenced your modeling style?
Well, not really. I like to look at the outfit and the theme of the shoot or show and let that inspire me. At the end of the day, as models, we’re trying to sell what we’re wearing so interpreting the look is what I think works best. Having said that, I’m a big fan of models Kate Moss, Miranda Kerr and recently Kendall Jenner as well as Cara Delevigne. 

You were recently selected to be mart of the M&S campaign…how did that go?
The M&S campaign was great! We shot in 2 locations. First some studio shots to be used for an online completion, the second shoot was in Valletta and photos were to be used for promotion. The shots are beautiful and working with such a fun team; Kurt Paris, Krista Paris [not sure if she uses this surname when related to make up], Chris Mifsud, Marisa Grima, Stefan Balzan, you and the other models was just the cherry on top!





What has been your proudest career moment?
I’m really lucky to have been involved in so many great events yet 2 fashion shows really stood out for me. Last October I was cast for an L’Oreal Professional Business Forum held locally, although loads of models were needed, only 10 Maltese girls were selected; I was part of the Opening Show. Although it involved long hours of rehearsal, I was definitely super proud to be a part of it. 





After being selected for the event “Made in MaltItaly” hosted by the Italo-Maltese Chamber of Commerce, I was so proud to have been complemented on my walk by Italian designer Nino Lettieri, who compared me to Italian personality Alessia Marcuzzi of whom he is a fan. 

Describe your favourite photo/fashion show you have ever modelled for? Why is it your favourite?
My favourite shoot is definitely going to be the random and extremely fun shoot I had with my supernova besties Gaby and Bev with Kurt Paris. 


Shot by Kurt Paris

With regards to shows, ahhh so difficult to pick!  I think the ones where we get to meet and work with the designer of the outfits are extra special though. Modelling for talented Gozitan designer and close friend Luke Azzopardi as well as the beautiful Mary Grace Pisani who designs the stunning Fersani garments would top my list. 


PIERCED -  LUKE AZZOPARDI fashion show – by Andrew Borg wirth


Would you call yourself a fashionable girl in real life? How would you describe your style? You’re still very young, do you feel as though your style is still developing or have you found your ‘look’?
I like to think I’m quite fashionable. My style is quite smart; I often wear shirts and blazers. I always try to keep up to date with latest trends but I like to make them my own and make them work for my shape, personality and lifestyle. I’m one of those who tend to go for neutral or grey-scale colours but I am trying to move away from this…so I end up sending pics to my friends especially Gaby & Bev for their approval. 

Plans for 2014?
2014 is a big year for me. I will be graduating [yeyyy finally!!] so as of September, I hope to begin teaching Biology and Science in a Secondary School, which I am really looking forward to. With regards to modelling, I am already super excited for Malta Fashion Week and Awards. Let’s hope for more shoots and shows throughout the year! I also plan on travelling, already began planning trips to Perugia for Easter, Greece in summer and maybe a quick getaway to Tuscany too.


caroline paris
Share This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lorde

Twitter Feed

Facebook Page

© carolinefashionstyling All rights reserved | Designed By Blogger Templates